Thursday, December 12, 2013

Roasted Pork Loin with Crispy Pork Crackling in 4 Easy Steps

Caution: To appreciate this recipe you must understand that pork crackle (which is the crisp fatty skin of roast pork) is utterly unhealthy. You must be able to not give a damn and eat anyway.

Wow! How time has flown. I have missed my blog so much and have finally found a recipe I am so happy to blog about.

Pork crackling heaven – that’s where my other half was for a brief moment once he heard the crunch of the pork crackling of this roasted pork loin. Then he sunk his teeth into a piece – and he stayed in pork crackling heaven a while more.

I first saw this 500g of rolled up pork loin being sold at Jaya Grocer. It was rolled up so neatly and tightly secured with kitchen string. I had no idea how I was gonna cook it but I just knew I had to buy it.

After it sat in my freezer for a while, I decided one day I had to cook this before the year was over.  So I started googling recipes for roasted pork loins. I came across a few but I was mainly looking for something which I already had the ingredients for. Thus THIS was the perfect recipe.

Taken from Quay Po Cooks' blog it was a recipe she had written quite some time back. I have re-written the recipe to reflect the adjustments I made. I have also omitted the steps and ingredients for the vegetables and gravy as I did not make them and focused solely on the pork.




What you need:
1 piece 500g pork loin with skin on
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs McCormick Italian herbs [this is a blend of different dried herbs which I keep handy to add to lasagna, pasta sauces and stews]
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tsp minced young ginger

What to do:
Prepare a deep roasting pan. Line the bottom with foil.
Preheat your oven to 220C.

Step 1
Score the skin of the pork crosswise at about 5mm intervals. Rub all the items into the pork loin and ensure you get the rub especially the salt into the cuts of the skin.

Step 2
Place the pork on a rack and then place the rack into the roasting pan. Put roasting pan in oven for 30 minutes. The high temperature will get the skin to crisp up.

Step 3
After 30 minutes, turn the temperature down to 175C for about 25-30 minutes. Keep basting the meat with the juices that have dripped below the rack every 10 minutes or so.

Step 4
Remove from oven – allow to rest for about 5 minutes and carve.

Notes:
  • When carving, we found it easier to slice off the crackle then slice the pork loin into slices.
  • Once out of the oven, don’t wrap the pork loin with foil as this might soften the crackle.
  • I used coarse salt which I also sprinkled on top of the pork loin once roasted.
  • I prepared my own side salad to go with this.  Of course it’s better to oven roast some vegetables and even serve with some garlic bread.
  • Overall we thought the crackling was out of this world. So crispy and tasty. It’s best to serve the meat with the gravy. I did not have time to make the gravy but still found the roast delish!




7 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sound really good to serve on Christmas day..

dentistvschef said...

Damn delicious!
i love the crackling all the way......
this post made me missing my home for christmas even more!
btw, i love to wrap the loin with alumunium foil to prevent is drain out on roasting process!

Amelia said...

Hi, that look really good and so inviting. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Happy New year to you and wish you all the best in 2014.

LouizYee said...

Hi, blog hopping..

I got to know your blog from "Mr. G" when I wanted to bake my simple orange butter cake and cheese muffins.. Been trying to find simple recipes and simple ways to bake it, and been coming back to your blog ever since.

Happy New Year 2014 to you and your family.

noobcook said...

can just tell from the photo alone that the skin is crackling! Happy new year!

The Sudden Cook said...

Happy New Year all! And thanks for stopping by;-)

Ann Jebaratnam said...

Oh my God, so disgustingly good!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails